
I really feel like I’m doing this album a disservice by writing a review despite not once listening to the record whilst under the influence of mind-altering drugs. However, the last time I did that I ended up giving a decidedly three-star electronic album a five-star review*, and I’d rather not invalidate my critical opinion once again. But it really doesn’t matter all that much, because I don’t think any psychotropic drug could make me dig this album anymore. Because this is the kind of shit that melts faces. From The Ages is the third studio recording from Earthless, an instrumental psychedelic rock band from San Diego. It’s the group’s first studio release since 2007’s excellent Rhythms From A Cosmic Sky, but they’ve released several live albums in the meantime, which makes sense because I bet these guys sound fucking amazing live. As I mentioned in my review of the recent re-issue of their last LP, Earthless is a psychedelic rock band in the traditional sense, with a heavy focus on long solos and non-stop driving rhythm. That elevates them above many other “jam” focused bands in my opinion, as they rarely let the tempo slide or the tracks dip into repetitive noodling as they figure out where to take a song next. They’re always on point, and always delivering the jams. This in large part has to do with their guitarist Isaiah Mitchell, whose Hendrixesque shredding rarely lets up once a track starts, and that’s really saying something considering most Earthless songs dwell in the 20 minute range. He always seems to be delivering one amazing solo after another, all epic and jaw-dropping. If it wasn’t 2013 and the world cared about rock music still, this dude would be a household name. He’s that good. by James Eldred (mostly-retro.com)
3 comments:
http://www43.zippyshare.com/v/mS4psOFB/file.html
so i guess you can call this an RUI case - REVIEWING UNDER THE INFLUENCE. :). wha sappening puck...
Hey bud thanks for stopping by! :). Seems like I spend more on vinyl lately & don't really have the time to rip anything properly. Your site jams consistently, keep up the great stuff.
Post a Comment